Thursday, September 20, 2007

iCache: A One-Card Wallet


Have ya'll seen this?: A company called iCache has invented a credit card system that emulates every other credit card you own, so you need only one. You have to scan them all in initially. The gadget, also called iCache, can be used with new "contactless" systems, or you can use it to "swipe" your credit card. It also can handle barcodes like your gym membership or that discount card at every superstore. Authentication is handled with a fingerprint scanner and there is a little menu to pick which card to use. I worry a little bit about the fingerprint reader, I have never had mcuh success with the one on my thinkpad. Looks similar. The whole device is kinda like the size of an iphone. I really like the idea, but the implementation is still early. I would love to see the whole device be the size of a credit card with a small multi-youch OLED screen maybe. Or, Steve J, take notice and integrate this into that next iphone. They should also throw a leather casing with a money clip on the side. Make it feel like a wallet. But, I love the idea here. I have been saying for a long time that it is completely ridiculous that we are stuck in 1975 with our payment systems. Cash and modem dialing credit card machines are still very prevalent. I should only need one, single ID card and authentication device for verifying everything. But, thank you iCache("iCash") for trying in a mid term solution. Its kinda like the hybrid car of credit cards.

See the CNBC article here.
Funny enough, the first place I saw this was on TV, not the WWW.


UPDATE: It looks like they have a newer version in the work with a color screen:

Still no leather or money clip.

No comments: